24.4.21

Children of the Promise

Lesson 5, April 24-30


Sabbath Afternoon


Memory Text: “Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” Matthew 28:20

A father and his ten-year-old daughter were spending their holiday at the seashore. One day they went out to enjoy a swim in the ocean and, although they were both good swimmers, some distance out from the shore they became separated. The father, realizing that they were being carried out to sea by the tide, called to his child: “Mary, I’m going to shore for help. If you get tired, turn on your back. You can float all day that way. I’ll come back for you.”

“Before long, many searchers and boats were scurrying over the face of the water hunting for one small girl. Hundreds of people on the shore had heard the news and were waiting anxiously. It was four hours before they found her, far from land, but she was calmly floating on her back and not at all frightened. Cheers and tears of joy and relief greeted the rescuers when they came back to land with their precious burden, but the child took it all calmly. She seemed to think it was strange the way they acted. She said, ‘Father said I could float all day on my back and that he would come for me, so I just swam and floated, because I knew he’d come.’ ” — H. M. S. Richards, “When Jesus Comes Back,” Voice of Prophecy News, March 1949, p. 5.

The Week at a Glance: Why did the Lord refer to Himself as Abram’s shield? How were “all the families of the earth” to be blessed through Abraham? What is the greatest of all the covenant promises?